The list of things to be done on a moving day can seem overwhelming and never-ending, but one of the most important tasks is taking care of yourself and your family. Creating a moving day essentials kit ahead of time will help ensure your family stays safe, comfortable, and happy during the move to your new home. In this blog, our Calgary Home Movers share their expert list of items to pack in your moving essentials box.
Packing Your Moving Essentials Box
After a long day of moving, the last thing you want to do is start rummaging through boxes looking for the items you need. As you inventory the items you’ll be moving, create a list of any essential items that you use daily. These items should be included in your moving day kit. Note any items that need to be replenished or repurchased, and grab those ahead of time.
If you’re hiring house movers in Calgary to service your move, make sure to have your essentials box prepared before they arrive to pack and move your home.
Your essentials box should be the last box in the moving van and the first box you open. If you are embarking on a long distance move across Canada or an international move, bring the box with you as you travel in case of any unexpected delays or emergencies. The box should include items to prepare basic meals, cleaning supplies, first aid equipment, and entertainment for the whole family.
Essentials To Include In Your Moving Day Box
This is a non-exhaustive list of what to pack in your moving day box:
- New house keys
- Credit cards/cash
- Paper supplies (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues)
- Cleaning supplies (dish soap, multi-purpose cleaner, sponges, small broom)
- Instant coffee or tea bags
- Bottled water
- Easy to make meals such as pasta and sauce, cereal and milk, bread and peanut butter, etc.
- Basic cooking supplies including a pot, pan, can opener and serving spoon
- Disposable plates, cups and cutlery
- Pet food and dishes
- Garbage bags
- First aid kit
- Flashlight with new batteries
- Spare batteries
- Lighter or matches
- Shower curtain
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, toothbrush)
- Towel for each member of the family
- Pyjamas and change of clothes
- Bed sheets and pillows
- Portable tool kit
- Daily medications
- Entertainment such as cards, books, colouring books and crayons, DVDs, etc.
- Personal electronics (laptop, tablet, eReader)
- Chargers for phones and electronics (laptop, tablet, eReader, etc.)
- Important documents (passports, insurance, licenses, etc.)
- Important phone numbers including that of your Calgary house movers, your realtor, your financial institution, etc.
Most importantly, don’t forget to pack a treat for yourself and your family. Moving can be a long and exhaustive process, so pack something that will help you unwind and relax at the end of the day – whether that be your favourite bubble bath, a nice bottle of wine, or a new movie to watch before bed, you deserve it!
Planning a Home Move in Calgary AB?
Matco Moving Solutions can help you with your next local, long-distance or international move. We are a full-service moving company that is dedicated to delivering a stress-free and positive moving experience.
Contact us today for a free moving quote and to learn how our home movers in Calgary can help you with your next move.